Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Thrill of Short Writings

Right now I am reading Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wondersby Neil Gaiman, which is turning out to be quite a remarkable collection of short writings -- stories, poems, and so far one true story. I will write a proper post when I'm finished with the book (which shouldn't be long from now, at the pace I'm enjoying it). But, in the meantime, I'm encouraging each and every one of you to do this:

Go get a collection of short writings.*

You have no excuses not to enjoy them. You can get short stories, if fiction is your bag, or short travel adventures, or short poetry, or hell, even a cookbook, especially if it's got more than the recipes and pictures. You can read them out of order, if you're feeling dangerous. Don't have time for a novel, or that thick book on Kit Carson your Aunt Ethel gave you that really does look interesting ("Honest, Aunt Ethel!")? There are five or ten or fifteen minutes somewhere when you can force yourself to sit down and read just one piece. I've done it the last two nights, and I've been tired.

Then give yourself two minutes to think about what you read. Just trust me on this one.

*Preferably by legal means.

3 comments:

  1. How about Uncle John's Bathroom Reader? Haha, I'm not sure if that counts, but it's certainly interesting reading material when you're on the can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I'm sold. I'm going to start with People's History. It's been way too long since I've read. I hope I still know how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bin Bin, when a society loses its toilet humor, its spirit becomes constipated and its bloodstream toxic. So yes, that counts.

    Andrew, if you can still differentiate between, "it's" and "its," which it seems you can, then I have faith in you. I've not read People's History, so let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete